Ok this is another made-up recipe so bear with me.
I am not all that fond of broccoli but I know good it is for me so I try to eat it.
I wanted to make a cream of broccoli type soup one day but did not have any cream so while searching recipes online I came across one that used potato flakes to thicken the soup instead of cream.
So this is my homemade recipe.
- One bag of frozen broccoli - it is already precooked so is easier to use but I am sure you can use fresh too.
- I thaw it a bit - not fully - doesn't really matter.
- I cut it a bit smaller and place into my food processor where I whiz the heck out of it - you want it fine. I do this in batches as a whole bag doesn't fit in my processor at one time.
- I also whiz a large onion too.
- Place the whizzed-up onion and broccoli into a large pot - add 4 cups chicken broth and 2 cups water.
- I sometimes also add a packet of chicken soup base.
- I bring to a boil then simmer for about 20 minutes.
- I taste and add seasoning - salt, pepper, garlic powder (I sometimes add fresh chopped garlic at the beginning instead) - pretty much any spices you like - try it.
- Simmer a little longer - taste, adjust seasoning if needed.
- Then I use an immersion hand blender and puree the soup. If you don't have a hand blender you can put batches through your regular blender (small amounts as hot liquids expand!).
- Once it is smooth and creamy, I stir in about 1/2 cup of potato flakes - stir until smooth.
We got my son to eat this when he was little by calling it Frog Soup - but he is older know and won't fall for that anymore.
My husband and I love this soup - I often make big batches and take it for lunches daily - it tastes good and is good for me.
For more great recipes, check out Favorite Ingrediet Fridays over at Overwhelmed With Joy.