Friday, 22 February 2008
FIF - Side Dishes
Here are a few of my favorite side dishes - I hope you know by now - I really don't use recipes - be adventurous!
-scrub potatoes, cut into chunks, place in oven dish
-toss with olive oil (2 tbsp but depends on how many spuds you have)
-toss in seasoning of your choice - I often use garlic powder, seasoning salt and chili powder - or you can add spice blends - whatever you like, add some)
-bake in a preheated 350 oven - for about an hour - stirring every 20 mins or so - until brown and crispy.
Snow peas and mushrooms
-tip & tail the snow peas (cut off the ends)
-slice the mushrooms
-place about 1 tbsp olive oil and 1 tbsp butter in large fry pan
-over medium heat
-add snow peas and mushrooms
-add garlic powder & seasoning salt
-saute about 20 mins until the snow peas are tender crisp
- stir often
Sauted garlic spinach
-wash spinach - I often use baby spinach because it doesn't have the woody stems to cut off
-chop garlic or use bottled chopped garlic - as much as you like but at least a tsp
-olive oil & butter (tsbp each) into fry pan
-over medium heat
-add garlic and spinach
- cook only for a few minutes - until the spinach is whilted
- serve - salt & pepper to your liking
-I use a small bag of baby carrots but any pealed carrot will work - cut to size you want.
- I steam my carrots in a double-boiler over med-high heat for about 6 minutes - I like them tender crisp - not soft.
- drain water from double-boiler and put steamed carrots in bottom pan
- add about 2-3 tsbp of maple syrup (the real stuff)
- toss to coat and rewarm is needed
I hope you try and enjoy some of these. For more great recipes, check out Favorite Ingrediet Fridays over at Overwhelmed With Joy.