Thursday, 18 December 2008

Book Review - House of Dark Shadows

Recently I joined Thomas Nelson as a book reviewer. The first book I reviewed was House of Dark Shadows by Robert Liparulo. It is the first book in the Dreamhouse King series.



Book jacket excerpt: Dream house . . . or bad dream?

When the Kings move from L.A. to a secluded small town, fifteen-year-old Xander is beyond disappointed. He and his friends loved to create amateur films . . . but the tiny town of Pinedale is the last place a movie buff and future filmmaker wants to land.

But he, David, and Toria are captivated by the many rooms in the old Victorian fixer-upper they moved into--as well as the heavy woods surrounding the house.

They soon discover there's something odd about the house. Sounds come from the wrong directions. Prints of giant, bare feet appear in the dust. And when David tries to hide in the linen closet, he winds up in locker 119 at his new school.

Then the really weird stuff kicks in: they find a hidden hallway with portals leading off to far-off places--in long-ago times. Xander is starting to wonder if this kind of travel is a teen's dream come true . . . or his worst nightmare.

My review: This book is aimed at tweens. I however, really enjoyed this book. I read it in a few hours on a Sunday afternoon. It is fast paced enough to hold my interest yet still provides all the details I enjoy.

It has suspense and adventure and while its subject matter is completely out of the norm, it is somehow still believable.

The characters are likable and well developed.

I look forward to reading the next book in the series - Watcher in the Woods.

My son plans to read this book next and I would definitely recommend it to others.

2 comments:

Nancy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Nancy said...

Wish I had more time to read. I work 2 jobs and that doesn't leave much time for anything. I have been having trouble trying to fit blogging in even.

Wishing you and yours a happy holiday season!

(((((( HUGS ))))))

P.S. That was me who deleted the comment...I had 2 typos in it! LOL