Monday, 14 September 2009

My Peanut is sick

Update below

Friday evening at about 7pm, J & I started cutting out the tomatoes plants that have blight - if you don't take them out, it will spread to everything. I had Peanut out there with us. She started to lick the cuttings so I put her on the long leash on the opposite side of the yard.

At about 10:30PM J noticed that around her eyes had swollen up. He had been playing with her just 20 mins before and she had been fine then. We decided to take her to the emergency vet.

We told them about the tomato plants, I knew tomato plants are toxic, but the vet seemed to think it was more likely a bee sting, of which we have a ton in the garden.

They gave her a shot of cortisone and a shot of benadryl. Aside from the swollen eyes and the welts popping up everywhere, she still seemed in good spirits. The told us to continue the benadryl at home. They convinced me to buy a victorian collar for her so she wouldn't scratch her eyes. We got home at about 1am. It took about 5 mins and all 3 of us holding her to get the collar on her and then she went absolutely nuts so I ending up taking it off after 5 mins. Waste of $25.

By morning her eyes were back to normal but she still had welts. I gave her a dose of liquid benadryl at 10am. She ate and drank normally and still seemed fine other than the welts.

At about 4pm Saturday she vomited, then again 3 more times in the next hour. Her gums and tongue turned white and she lay down on the grass outside and didn't move. We took her back to the vet at 6pm. There said she had gone into shock and was probably having a secondary reaction to the whatever she had. They put her on IV and kept her for the night.

We picked her up at 10am Sunday. She was tired but looked so much better. She refused to look at me, she was mad I had left her I guess :)

As both visits were to the emergency vet where each visit has the base price of $132, plus all the extras, Peanut's allergy has nearly cost me a mortgage payment.

I am working from home today to monitor her. She hates the benadryl liquid so I only end up getting half a dose into her which still makes her drowsy. She still has lots of welts. K will bring home the pill form of benadryl after work - I think I can get those into her better.

She is very clingy since she came home, so is at least listening better when I call her :)

Update: I stayed home again today (Tuesday) to give Peanut Benadryl during the day. Most of her hives are gone and she is back to her happy self.


Melody said...

poor baby

mommanator said...

ooo poor pup, hope she is back to normal now

Gill - That British Woman said...

oh that's just plain awful....Molly is not a lot better, but I have increased her dose of allergy pills to see if that helps.

I dread having to take her to an emergency vet, as I have heard they are really expensive.


(Good to hear from you by the way)