I have decided to go with The South Beach Diet. It is kind of like the Atkin's Diet, only healthy :)
No copious amounts of fat and red meat. I know many people have been successful with Atkin's but that doesn't make it healthy. The amount of people who also acquired health issues while doing Atkin's cannot be ingored.
Anyhow...off the soapbox.
South Beach Diet Phase 1. (Basics - if you want specifics, get the book)
- No starches (bread, rice, pasta, potatoes, cereal)
- No sugar (I usually add sugar to my coffee, so will be using Stevia in powder form instead, not crazy about it but...)
- No fruit or fruit juices
- Nothing high in fat (no full fat cheese, no skin on chicken, no bacon etc...)
One of the key things to achieve is to really UP your veggie intake. Eat as many as possible.
This is my plan.
- 1 egg, 2 egg whites, scrambled with green onion & mushrooms in PAM-like spray
- Sliced tomato
- Ham bacon, or lean Canadian bacon - 2 pcs
- Coffee, 1% milk & stevia
- Mixed greens - 3 cups
- grape tomatoes
- 1/2 tin tuna in water, drained
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 tsp red wine vinegar
- 1/4 avocado diced
- 2 ribs celery
- 1 wedge Laughing Cow Cheese
- Grilled chicken breast
- 2 cups Roasted veggies - mushrooms, cauliflower, broccoli, onions, zucchini, garlic
I can probably add stuff to this if I needed to, but I eat far too often right now, one of my bad habits, and I have to get over that. Being home is a challenge too, I can constantly be noshing.
Of course, I will need to drink my kazillion gallons of water as well. I do ok now, with probably a liter or a liter and a half per day, but I need to drink more.
Hopping on the treadmill or taking Peanut out for a walk won't kill me either.
I'll keep you posted as to how it goes. Anyone want to do it with me?
For more great ideas, pop over to Shannon's place (this week only then back to Kristen's place)
P.S. If anyone has any great dieting tips or inspiration, I would LOVE to hear them!