Monday, 11 October 2010

Book Review - Have a New You by Friday by Dr. Kevin Leman



I have to say right off the top, I was given this book to review, so didn't actually spend any money on it, however, I had previously purchased "Have a new KID by friday" by the same author.

I gotta say, niether impressed me much. I find his approach too simplistic. More or less, Just do it! Well If I could do that, I wouldn't be reading your books now would I?

People buy his books because the title offers near instant results - Friday isn't that far away, no matter what day of the week it is. We all want to find that magic key, pill or bullet that will fix whatever we think is wrong with us (or our kids).

About the book - early on he compares people to dogs depending on their birth order. I like dogs, so didn't take offense to this. But unlike (apparently) most lastborns, I am not akin to a Yorkie dog. I am not high strung, popular, loud, a partier, irresponsible, disorganizer and lack budgeting skills.

Oh but wait, since I was an only child at home since I was 9 yrs old, I could be considered a firstborn or even an only child. But wait, that means I should be a perfectionist (riiiiight), neat (hmmmm), a list maker (that I am), a leader (nah) and ultra-organized (uh uh).

So am I just special and don't fit into one of his neat lil moulds? I don't think so. It is too easy to try to pigion-hole personalities. I think if we all just fit into the few models available, the world would be a very dull place.

Another thing I didn't care about in the book is how there are testiments to Dr. Leman's brilliance peppered throughout. So called followers with screwed up lives, that after only one book read or seminar made miraculous changes and fixed their lives for the better...all due to Dr. Leman. O.K.

The one positive thing I can say about this book is that it makes you think about your life and what you like or dislike about it. If thinking about those issues helps you make positive changes, then the book helped.

Honestly though, I learned more about Dr. Leman's life than about my own. If you do not know yourself enough to know what needs to change, then you need more than a book to change your life.

Would I recommend this book? Hmmm, maybe pick it up at the library, don't spend money on it though.
 

"Book has been provided courtesy of Baker Publishing Group and Graf-Martin Communications, Inc
Available at your favourite bookseller from Revell, a division of Baker Publishing Group". 

No comments: