Thursday, 27 January 2011

Book Review - Promised to Keep by Ann Tatlock



Publisher's blurb: Eleven-year-old Roz (Rosalind) Anthony and her family have just moved to Mills River, Illinois, to escape an abusive situation. Only days after settling into their new home, they are surprised to find the previous owner, Tillie Monroe, on their front porch reading the newspaper. Though her sons have sold the house and sent her to a facility for the aged, she is determined to die in the place she lived her life and somehow manages to find her way "home" day after day. Feeling sympathy for the elderly woman, Roz's mother allows Tillie to move back in.
Mara Nightingale becomes Roz's first friend in Mills River. In spite of their many differences, the girls discover they have something in common that binds them together--both are hiding secrets. So they make a promise--cross my heart and hope to die"--never to tell anyone else.
When danger stalks the Anthonys, Tillie exhibits unimaginable courage and selfless love in her determination to protect the family she has adopted as her own.
My review:  I started reading this book yesterday during the commercials while watching American Idol. This book is a very easy read as it flows so smoothly. No ultra detailed parts that you have to force yourself to read through. I read through all the commercials and then late into the night. I didn't want to put this book down. It held my interest and was never boring. The characters were believable and it was easy to relate to them. I made myself put the book down to finally go to bed and picked it up first thing this morning to finish off the last few chapters. I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book. I often peek at the last page but made myself not do that with this book as I didn't want to ruin it. The author made the ponderings of a young girl and everyday life interesting and significant. I would recommend this book to others.

"Book has been provided courtesy of Baker Publishing Group and Graf-Martin Communications, Inc.
Available at your favourite bookseller from Bethany House, a division of Baker Publishing Group
".
 

1 comment:

Gill - That British Woman said...

totally agree with you I loved it too.

Gill