Wednesday, 1 June 2011

Book Review - The Sweetest Thing by Elisabeth Musser



Publisher's blurb:
Compelling Southern Novel Explores Atlanta Society in the 1930s
Anne "Perri" Singleton's world is defined by the security of family, the camaraderie of friends at an exclusive Atlanta girls' school, and an enviable social life. She isn't looking for new friends when Mary Dobbs Dillard arrives from Chicago. Besides, "Dobbs," the passionate and fiercely individualistic daughter of an itinerant minister, is her opposite in every way.
But just as the Great Depression collides disastrously with Perri's well-ordered life, friendship blossoms--a friendship that will be tested by jealousy, betrayal, and family secrets...
With her endearing characters and poignant storytelling, Atlanta native Elizabeth Musser vividly re-creates the charm of her beloved city amid the poverty and plenty that shaped the 1930s. 

My review: One of the best books I have read recently. I didn't want to put this one down!
This book has it all - intrigue, tragedy, mystery, love, friendship, trials and tribulations abound.

Well thought-out characters. Enough twists and turns to keep the reader guessing what would happen next. I got so involved in the storylines and rooting for my fav characters. The underlying message is to always maintain your faith, regardless of the circumstance. While the book is full of Biblical references, I didn't find it "preachy"

I would highly recommend this book to others.

"Book has been provided courtesy of Baker Publishing Group and Graf-Martin Communications, Inc.
Available at your favourite bookseller from Bethany House, a division of Baker Publishing Group". 

1 comment:

Gill - That British Woman said...

this was my favourite of the month also. My review is next week sometime, I have spaced them out this month.

Gill