Wednesday, 31 July 2013

Books I have read recently & what I thought of them

The following are some of the books I have read recently. I read a LOT of books. I read several per month for a Christian publisher that provides me the books in exchange for reviews. I also borrow a lot of book from the library. I rarely buy books anymore as I read so many and already have a house full of them.

I am also including a link to the GoodReads.com summary and reviews of each book, so that I don't have to summarize myself.

NOS3A2 by Joe Hill                               Goodreads reviews here

Joe Hill is Stephen King's son, so I was instantly drawn to his books. I have read one of his other books but can't remember the name at the moment, something about a haunted suit.

Anyhow...this is a very long book. I liked his writing a lot but did find it a bit tedious at times to stay the course with the overly long story.

I'd rate this book a 3.75 out of 5, it wasn't quite a 4 in my opinion.




Joyland by Stephen King                       Goodreads reviews here

Loved this book! Typical old style Stephen King. Couldn't stop reading, couldn't put the book down! Highly recommend it :)

5 out of 5



The 100 year old man who climbed out the window and disappeared by Jonas Jonasson

Goodreads reviews here

This book was hilarious! It was witty and quick and unbelievable enough to be believable! I have read reviews saying it couldn't be true to history, but that is what makes it so good, what if it was?!

4 out of 5



Inferno by Dan Brown                                          Goodreads reviews here

Another great novel from Dan Brown, I loved the Da Vinci Code & Angels & Demons as well. The Lost Symbol, not so much. This book really gets you thinking. It was fast-paced and held my interest constantly.

5 out of 5



The Ocean at the End of The Lane byNeil Gaiman                    Goodreads reviews here

Although this book got great reviews, and I got caught up in it pretty quick, it was an odd book. It was interesting enough to keep me reading but I got to the end and just kind of said "huh?" If someone asked me to describe this book in a short sentence, I wouldn't be able to, I'd actually have to think about what it was actually about, which is odd having just read it. Definitely not a fav and probably would not recommend it to others.

3 out of 5



Life After Life by Kate Atkinson          Goodreads reviews here

If you value your free time as I do mine, please for the love of all that is good...DO NOT READ THIS BOOK! Gah, how I wish I had that time back. What a complete and utter waste of my time! Seriously, there is nothing good I can say about this book...it may make a great doorstop.

1 out of 5



The Likeness by Tara French                   Goodreads reviews here

Another book I did not like. It was highly improbably & therefore unbelievable. It seemed quite childish at many times. I made myself finish it but was disappointed about a 3rd of the way through. I read the 1st book in this series and it didn't leave much of an impression on me either as I cannot even remember what it is about.

2 out of 5



This is Where I Leave You by Johnathan Tropper      Goodreads reviews here

I really enjoyed this book, It was hilarious and had me constantly laughing out loud! It is real and believable. The childhood stories were reminiscent of my childhood and therefore, enjoyable. Apparently it is being made into a movie, I'd go see it

4 out of 5

No comments: